needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 2.9
- [l10n] Add RU translation for notify.d stuff. (github issue #29 by @Vladimir-csp) (github issue #31 by @Vladimir-csp)
- [Conf] Add lxcfs to override_rc. (Debian Bug#832166 by Evgeni Golov <email@example.com>)
- [Conf] Pass arguments of apt-pinvoke to needrestart. (Debian Bug#826220 by Wolfgang Karall-Ahlborn <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Core] Use $(MAKE) instead of make for parallel make. (github issue #34 by Craig Andrews @candrews)
- [Core] Make nagios severities configurable. (github issue #32 by Christoph Anton Mitterer @calestyo)
- [UI] Add a workaround for bug in Term::ReadKey if STDOUT does not print on a TTY (see also Debian Bug#824564).
- [Core] Fix orcexec regex to match on removed files, too. (Debian Bug#828103 by Paul Wise <email@example.com>)
- [Core] Don’t compare device numbers on anon fs (i.e. OpenVZ’s simfs). (github issue #28 by Sven-Haegar Koch @haegar)
- [Core] Fix odd perl warnings about LSB tags. (github issue #33 by Evgenii Terechkov @evgkrsk)
- [Core] Make systemctl_combine config option working. (Debian Bug#826526 by Paul Wise <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Core] Handle newlines in kernel versions gracefully. (Debian Bug#827162 by Martin Steigerwald <email@example.com>)
- [Core] Fix session counter in nagios plugin mode.