needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 2.8
- [Core] Restart SysV init services on systemd using systemctl. (Debian Bug#818853 by Paul Wise <email@example.com>)
- [Core] Print a combined
systemctl restartcommand line for skipped services (config option). (Debian Bug#818853 by Paul Wise <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [l10n] Make NeedRestart::UI::stdio localized and update German localization.
- [notify] Disable mail notification by default (notify.conf).
- [Core] Add a easy UI mode hiding technical details for non-technical users. (Debian Bug#819824 by Patrick Schleizer <email@example.com>))
- [Cont] Detect systemd-machined containers.
- [Conf] Add xendomains to override_rc. (Debian Bug#817807 by Samuel Thibault <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Core] Do not terminate debconf after restart service selection since it is still needed for container selection.
- [Core] Fix regex handling in cgroup detection. (github pull request #25 by Courtney Bane @cbane)
- [Core] Fix library probing inside filesystem namespaces (i.e. LXC containers). (github issue #23 by Lukas Pirl @lpirl)
- [Interp] Fix incomplete skipping of scanning files in Interp/*.pm if cwd is unknown.
- [Interp] Improve getopts parsing (Interp::*) to remove “Uknown option:” warnings. (Debian Bug#817927 by F. Petitjean <email@example.com>)
- [notify.d] Fix bashisms in /etc/needrestart/notify.d/*. (Debian Bug#818001 by Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <firstname.lastname@example.org>) (github issue #21 by Sebastian Brandt @sbrandtb) (Debian Bug#824184 by Axel Beckert <email@example.com>)
- [UI] stdio: do not skip service asked while choosing auto mode.