needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. The shipped hooks support the following package managers:
The service command is used to run the tradiditional System V init script.
Changes in 0.9
- Drop external dependency on strings command from binutils.
- Fix “uninitialized value” by apparent kernel threads. (Debian Bug#746363 by Axel Beckert <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Read kernel version from x86 kernel boot header and handle uncompressed kernel images. (Debian Bug#746550 by Axel Beckert <email@example.com>)
- Several small bugfixes:
- [Interp] initial source file detection broken due using getopt instead of getopts (Debian Bug#746363 by Axel Beckert <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [UI] fix newlines in Debconf template
- [UI] fix “No such file or directory” triggered by stdio (Debian Bug#746550 by Axel Beckert <email@example.com>)
- [Interp] Use source file instead of
/proc/<pid>/exeto find package.