needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 2.4
- [Bug] Drop unused dependency on File::Slurp. (Debian Bug#799733 by Christoph Anton Mitterer <email@example.com>) (Debian Bug#799734 by Sven Hartge <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Bug] Add user@\d+.service to override_rc. (Debian Bug#788380 by Shirish Agarwal <email@example.com>)
- [Bug] Add override for systemd-logind due to another systemd regression. (Debian Bug#800718 by Sven Hartge <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Bug] Fix grammar in hook scripts. (Debian Bug#805980 by Justin B Rye <email@example.com>)
- [Bug] Fix kernel detection on non x86* arch. (Debian Bug#800720 by Sven Hartge <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Kernel] Extract kernel version on non-x86(_64) archs (allows ABI checks).