needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 2.3
- [Bug] Add lightdm to override. (Debian Bug#791649 by Martin Steigerwald <email@example.com>)
- [Bug] Do not try container detection in user mode. (Debian Bug#791665 by Ansgar Burchardt <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Bug] Remove unsupported HTML markups from notifications. (Debian Bug#791664 by Ansgar Burchardt <email@example.com>)
- [Bug] Compare inodes of mapped files more reliable for chrooted processes. (github issue #11 by Markus Frosch <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Kernel] Skip kernel detection within containers.
- [UI] Add a quiet option to drop any progress messages. (Debian Bug#791708 by Rodrigo Campos <email@example.com>)
- [Bug] Do not handle user services as system services. (Debian Bug#792032 by Ansgar Burchardt <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Bug] Fix cutting path names read from /proc/PID/maps at spaces resulting in false-positives.