needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 3.2
- [Kernel] Include /boot/kernel* while looking for linux kernel images (required for Gentoo) (Gentoo Bug 654958 by Klaus Ethgen) (github pull request #113 by Craig Andrews @candrews)
[Core] Do not restart ModemManager by default. (github pull request #119 by @bodqhrohro)
- [UI] Do not call GetTerminalSize if STDOUT is not a tty. (github pull request #110 by Michael Scherer @mscherer)
- [uCode] Filter microcode for CPU signature and flags. (github issue #112 by @mgondium) (Debian Bug#900298 by Francois Mescam email@example.com)
- [uCode] Assigning ucodehints a false value disables ucode checks. (github issue #115 by Johannes Kampmeyer @xschlef)
- [Hooks] Ignore non-executable init scripts. (github issue #116 by Marc Dequènes (Duck) @duck-rh)
- [L10n] Fix typo in Russian localization. (github pull request #118 by @bodqhrohro)
- [UI] Do not leak fd into restarted services. (Debian Bug#893152 by Stephen Rothwell firstname.lastname@example.org)