needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 3.4
- [L10n] Add Czech localization. (github pull request #131 by @p-bo) (github pull request #132 by @p-bo) (github pull request #133 by @p-bo)
- [Core] Add FRR to override. (github pull request #138 by David Lamparter @eqvinox)
- [Core] Detect if run inside a container or vm using systemd. (github issue #139 by Tobby @tobby88)
- [Core] Skip needrestart in apt hook if system is shutting down. (Debian Bug#914753 by Balint Reczey email@example.com)
- [Core] Do restart systemd-journald (again). (see also Debian Bug#771122, #771254 and #898818) (Debian Bug#898818 by Mathieu Parent firstname.lastname@example.org)
- [uCode] Ignore broken microcode files (required for CentOS). (github issue #123 by Marc Dequènes (Duck) @duck-rh)
- [uCode] Parse output of old iucode-tool 1.5. (github pull request #127 by Lutz Heermann @LuHee)
- [uCode] Prevent microcode false positives for BIOS updates. (Debian Bug#906958 by Maik Zumstrull email@example.com)
- [uCode] Handle microcode updates for multiple CPUs in initramfs. (Debian Bug#907372 by Paul Wise firstname.lastname@example.org)
- [Core] Ignore temporary mappings of elasticsearch. (github issue #134 by Georg @teadur)
- [Core] Do not restart oneshot services from systemd-cron. (Debian Bug#917073 by Antti Salmela email@example.com)