needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 2.11
- [Core] Allow special treatment to restart services (i.e. dbus). (github issue #44 by @Vladimir-csp)
- [Cont] Support restarting LXD-based LXC containers. (github issue #26 by James Johnston @JohnstonJ)
- [Core] New config option to enforce legacy session detection if systemd is used without PAM integration. (github issue #52 by @micw and Eric S. @Korni22)
- [Core] Fix default config type for override_* settings. (github issue #47 by @mphilipps)
- [Kernel] Ignore initrd filenames while looking for kernel image files. (github issue #49 by Evgenii Terechkov @evgkrsk)
- [Kernel] Strip .img from version string when deducting the kernel version from filename. (github issue #49 by Evgenii Terechkov @evgkrsk)
- [Core] Fix wrong regex quotation in default configuration file. (Debian Bug#844283 by Paul Wise firstname.lastname@example.org)
- [Core] Add display-manager ‘lxdm’ to override. (Debian Bug#845996 by Rodrigo Campos email@example.com)
- [Interp] Make paths when searching source files relative to the root path of the process. (github issue #54 by Tomasz Kontusz @ktosiek)