needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. If a process inside a container (LXC, docker) it suggests to restart the entire container. needrestart contains a heuristic for different interpreter languages: it tries to detect if outdated script code/modules are in use (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Changes in 2.10
- [Interp] Allow ignoring of interpreted files. (github issue #39 by Wolfgang Karall @wolfgangkarall)
- [Core] Make verification of mapped files in fileystem configurable as a workaround for broken grsecurity kernels. (github issue #46 by @jleroy @eigengrau)
- [Core] Make ignore of mapped files configurable. (github issue #45 by @stbuehler)
- [Core] Do not ignore processes if maps file could not be read.
- [Perl] Silence warnings of Module::ScanDeps for dynamic loaded modules. (github issue #41 by @bxkx @r-lindner)
- [UI] Do not use Text::Wrap while printing restart commands. (Debian Bug#838622 by Paul Wise firstname.lastname@example.org)
- [Core] Do really restart services in automatic mode. (Debian Bug#838355 by Georg email@example.com)
- [Kernel] Include /boot/*.img while looking for linux kernel images. Fixes kernel detection on Raspbian. (github issue #38 by @fenhl)