needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. The shipped hooks support the following package managers:
The service command is used to run the tradiditional System V init script.
Changes in 1.2
- Prepare po-debconf usage and add German translation. (Debian Bug#761068 by David Prévot <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Drop dependency on
Term::ProgressBar::Simple. (Debian Bug#761192 by Thijs Kinkhorst <email@example.com>)
- Fix blacklist to match upgraded binaries (dpkg). (Debian Bug#761346 by Paul Wise <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Fix detection of unit names on systemd 215+. (Debian Bug#762312 by Sven Hartge <email@example.com>)
- Ignore special paths (
/dev), fixing some false positives.
- Add service blacklist configuration option to fix display manager blacklisting with systemd.
- Handle restarts of systemd manager and sysv init using their specific commands. (Debian Bug#762528 by Paul Wise <firstname.lastname@example.org>)