needrestart checks which daemons need to be restarted after library upgrades. It is inspired by checkrestart from the debian-goodies package.
needrestart supports but does not require systemd. If systemd is not available or does not return a service name needrestart uses hooks to identify the corresponding System V init script. The shipped hooks support the following package managers:
The service command is used to run the tradiditional System V init script.
Changes in 2.0
- [regression] List commands in list mode. (Debian Bug#764042 by Paul Wise <email@example.com>)
- Add a conf.d/ directory. (Debian Bug#764043 by Paul Wise <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [UI] Fix empty current/expected kernel version string used by debconf template. (Debian Bug#764917 by Laurent Bonnaud <L.Bonnaud@laposte.net>)
- Don’t blacklist services by default but use a new override_rc option to don’t restart some critical services by default. (Debian Bug#763937 by Christoph Anton Mitterer <email@example.com>)
- Don’t restart services greylisted in override_rc in auto mode. (Debian Bug#770937 by Axel Beckert <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [UI] Disable progress bar while running non-interactive. (Debian Bug#768124 by Phillip Berndt <email@example.com>)
- [UI] Fix warning on uninitialized values while reading from /dev/stdin. (Debian Bug#768124 by Phillip Berndt <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- [Interp] Add basic Java detection support.
- Add PolicyKit action file to allow needrestart-session to run needrestart as root.
- [UI] Add
-f <fe>CLI parameter to allow to overwrite the DEBIAN_FRONTEND environment variable used by debconf(7).